Monday 23 September 2013

The Crescent Stars

I've finally finished the poetry anthology I've been working on this year. It isn't very large, but when you're me actually finishing something is a pretty big deal. You may recognise some of these from the far flung corners of my interweb. Others are completely new. They are introspection pieces, a self-analysis of sorts viewing myself from the twelve angles I consider as essential dimensions of reality. I call them 'The Crescent Stars'. Click a name on the left to summon a poem.


Walking City                                                                                       Shape
Highwalker                                                                                         Density
Logician                                                                                     Temperature
Voodoo Cowboy                                                                             Spectrality
Ancient                                                                                                 Time
Glitch                                                                                               Corporeality
The Sixth World Librarian                                                                Meaning
Lightbringer                                                                                       Illumination
Gentle Hues                                                                                          Colour
Cautious                                                                                              Speed
Anywhere but Here                                                                         Direction
Silent Witness                                                                                    Sound


Some background info. on the same, for those interested:

I find that at times it's difficult to know who I am and what I want. The word for it is ambivalence. I want too much, too many things, and many of them contrary. Thankfully for me as a writer this means I can quite easily split myself into 40 or more different characters/geographies/cities or whatever and observe how they interact. Damnably, when I'm not writing, they are all fighting to drive the human.

This anthology was a venture into the world of cubism - to attempt to see as many sides of my self in a single place at a single time; to highlight who I am at every moment no matter which part is most apparent to the eye. I still believe that there is an undercurrent running unseen through all of these, which when guided well will erupt in a single geyser of personality, something godlike and unreachable. Unreachable because it has been severed into the mess of babel that is my mind. My untempered insight tells me that the way to become this being is in forming a conference between my different parts, a key that lets them understand one another, work together, and ultimately unlock a chamber to an inner self I cannot even begin to contemplate.

I believe that this is a common problem, and others could benefit from writing their own anthologies. Anyone who has had a moment of indecision, raged against a part of themself they see as self-destructive, considered that every action they undertake betrays one or another value they hold dear, but was at the same time unavoidable, you need to know who you are. It is the most important thing. More important than knowing others, more important than knowing the world. People come and go. Some will die, some will move away, and others will experiment with leading different lives that include you less. The world as it is now will not exist in ten years - there will be new perspectives on science, better religions, technologies in circuit that nobody expected to appear. What will stay for your whole life regardless of the world around you is your identity, your Self. So be Selfish. Look at who you are and learn to accept it. And if you find the key to unchain that being deep within you, I guarantee that you will make up for in one year what you struggled to do selflessly for ten.

Where to start? It's easy. It's weather.

Hot or cold?

Wet or dry?

Solid, liquid, or gas?

Rhyme or Reason?

Physical or Spiritual?

Divide yourself. Choose all your favourites. Then say why you made that choice. If it's a part of your being, it will express itself. If it does, that's poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment