Monday 23 September 2013

Anywhere but Here

The clocks are too loud.
The floor slants.
I feel, at the back of my mind, a whining pressure.
There are places I must be, that need attention, that need completion
that cloud my thoughts like bloodlust, fogging up everything I’m trying to do.
My attention cuts sharp
through the pedantic drone of agenda,
and by the time it reaches the front of my mind, it is a wild thing,
torn and raggedy, stripped by the wailing song
of ‘Anywhere but here.’
I’ve forgotten.

I race to heed its call, to be the completionist,
To scrape the tissue of these thoughts from the scabby lesions of my brain,
To clean, to scourge, to correct
Endlessly
There is never a moment left empty, when you’re in transit.
There is no rest, so long as it can be better.
Where I’m going, there is no destination
Only the warp and weald
of an untempered path

that will not survive my passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment